Welcome to The Lodge of Philanthropy No 940
Date of Warrant 5th December 1862
Date of Consecration 26th February 1863
Date of Centenary Warrant 26th February 1963
Meetings 3rd Thursday in the month except June / July / Aug at 7:00pm
Installation month February
For any enquiries please contact the lodge secretary
W.Bro Keith Robinson PPrJGW
History of the Lodge
The Lodge of Philanthropy is materially linked to a Lodge, which met at the Swann and Rummer tavern in Finch Lane, London from 1725 to 1751. In 1756 the Lodge in Stockton purchased the entire effects, which included the Warrant, Minute Book, furniture and other items.
"The Most Ancient and Honourable Society ( No. 19 ) of Free and Accepted Masons" and now called the Lodge of Philanthropy, held its first meeting on 2nd December, 1756, at the Queens Head tavern at Portrack, Stockton-on-Tees. The Lodge members subsequently met at the Black Lion Hotel from 1773 and, from 1795, at a new room in Mason`s Court, reached from Stockton High Street by a long and narrow passage called Break Neck Yard!
In 1824 the Lodge met annually at the Vane Arms Hotel but after a steady decline in numbers the Lodge ceased to meet in 1838. However, in 1863, the `new` Lodge of Philanthropy was formed, number 940, and the members decided to build their own Lodge rooms in Wellington Street, Stockton-on-Tees at a total cost of about £1,400.
The first meeting was held in 1870. This building later became the Stockton Free Library. With an increasing membership and because the Hall had become the social centre of the town it soon became obvious that the building was too small. Therefore the Brethren of the Lodge of Philanthropy began the construction of another Masonic Hall across the road.
The present building in Wellington Street cost £4,408 and the first meeting was held on August 17th, 1876. The Worshipful Master in 1769 was John Stapylton Raisbeck, Mayor of Stockton in that year and on two subsequent occasions, thus beginning a long and fine tradition of public service by members of the Lodge of Philanthropy.
Mayors, business pioneers, captains of industry, Local Councillors, legal eagles, head teachers and education officers, surgeons, architects etc. etc..the list is endless and continues to this day. The Lodge of Philanthropy celebrated its 125th Anniversary in 1988 and at an extra special meeting, Derek Richmond, a member of the Lodge and a much respected Secondary School Head teacher, delivered a history of the Lodge.
In 2006 Derek Richmond was appointed Provincial Grand Master for the Province of Durham, not only a great individual honour, but also one for the Lodge of Philanthropy, ensuring its exalted position in the annals of Freemasonry in Stockton.
* From "Parochial History and Antiquities of Stockton-on-Tees " by Rev. John Brewster pub. 1796*
This web-site created by W.Bro Dave Hodgson (Philanthropy 940)
Based on the template supplied by the Provincial Grand Lodge of Durham